9 new languages added to Google Translate: Including Nepali
Google translate has included nine more languages to its translation database. The latest addition includes four Asian language’s Mongolian, Maori, Nepali (Google Nepali Translate) and Punjabi and five languages spoken in Africa namely Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Somali and Zulu. With these languages Google now has 80 languages in its database which covers 225 million native speakers all over the world. Punjabi is spoken by over 100 million speakers in India whereas Nepali is spoken by 42 million people in Nepal. Google translate can be accessed via web or through Google Apps for smartphones or tablets. The App provides host of features such as voice input for Arabic, Chinese, English, Portuguese and Spanish speakers and also hand writing and optical character recognition for selected languages.
Here is the list of new Google Translate languages and also the countries where they are spoken:
- Hausa (Harshen Hausa) – Nigeria and neighboring countries
- Igbo (Asụsụ Igbo) – Nigeria
- Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá) – Nigeria and neighboring countries
- Somali (Af-Soomaali) – Somalia and other countries around the Horn of Africa
- Zulu (isiZulu) spoken in South Africa and other south-western African countries
- Mongolian (Монгол хэл) – Mongolia
- Nepali (नेपाली) – Nepal and India
- Punjabi language (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) (Gurmukhi script) – India and Pakistan
- Maori (Te Reo Māori) – New Zealand
It is great that Google has added more languages but like many other languages in the Google database, these new ones are far from perfect. The translations of renowned and widely used languages (Chinese, French, German etc) is manageable and understandable but when you try to translate other languages to English or vice versa you get weird sentences like in Yodanese (checkout Yoda in youtube). However, the developers are probably hard at work to make the native language translations better and hopefully we can expect better-grammatically correct translations in the coming days or uhh!!! years.
Download Google Translate for Android.